LeftBrainRightBrain urges you to send an email/fax to your congressional representative asking them NOT TO ADDRESS THE VACCINE-AUTISM ISSUE OR THE IDEA OF AN AUTISM EPIDEMIC OR “FAUX THERAPIES.”
There is no mention of CHILDREN on this post or in the sample letter. Instead the term “autistics” is used. (Personally, I find the term offensive since it defines people by their disability.)
Promoting these kinds of ideas puts us back to questions like:
Has there been a real increase in the disorder?
Is there an autism gene?
How do we spread awareness?
You are free to chose your talking points. Here are some of mine:
1) We need focus on improving the quality of life of Autistics
2) While not all Autistics can self-advocate, if we are going to have autism organizations represented, we need to have Autistic-run organizations represented.
3) Autism is a very broad spectrum, all with challenges of some sort. The government’s response needs to be broad (read-larger than it is now) in order to encompass all the needs of these communities.
4) The vaccine-epidemic hypothesis has been very damaging to the autism communities. Please don’t allow this meeting to be a way around the science in order to keep that idea alive.
5) There are faux therapies in common use for autism. Many are harmless. Some are dangerous and based on incredibly poor science. We need to get accurate information out about these practices.